Second Life® is a 3-D virtual world created by its Residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by millions of Residents from around the globe.
- From the moment you enter the World you’ll discover a vast digital continent, teeming with people, entertainment, experiences and opportunity. Once you’ve explored a bit, perhaps you’ll find a perfect parcel of land to build your house or business.
- You’ll also be surrounded by the Creations of your fellow Residents. Because Residents retain intellectual property rights in their digital creations, they can buy, sell and trade with other Residents.
- The Marketplace currently supports millions of US dollars in monthly transactions. This commerce is handled with the inworld unit of trade, the Linden™ dollar, which can be converted to US dollars at several thriving online Linden dollar exchanges.
Welcome to the Second Life world. We look forward to seeing you inworld.
The most important thing about the Second Life world is that it is constantly changing and growing. Here’s why:
- Thousands of new residents join each day and Create an Avatar
- Those avatars Explore the World and Meet People
- These people discover the thousands of ways to Have Fun
- Some people decide to purchase Virtual Land, which allows them to open a business, build their own virtual paradise, and more!
- Linden Lab creates new land to keep up with demand. What began as 64 acres in 2003 is now over 65,000 acres and growing rapidly.
The Second Life world is a place dedicated to your creativity. It’s about dreaming of something one moment and bringing it to life the next. Everything in Second Life is resident-created, from to the strobe lights in the nightclubs to the car (or spaceship) in your driveway.
Imagine tinkering with the steering and handling program of a motorcycle while your friend tweaks the shape of the fuel tank and gives it a wicked flame paint job, in-world and in real-time, before you both take it for a spin down a newly created road to look for some land to buy. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a pair of black leather wings? Build them and give it a go.
- See what residents are Building Right Now
- Browse the thousands of items for sale on community websites
- See how residents are pushing the envelope Making Movies With Second Life
- Learn more about how to Create Anything in Second Life
- Make real money in a virtual world. That’s right, real money.
- Here’s how it works:
- The Second Life world has a fully-integrated economy architected to reward risk, innovation, and craftsmanship.
- Residents create their own virtual goods and services. Because residents retain the IP rights of their creations, they are able to sell them at various in-world venues.
- Businesses succeed by the ingenuity, artistic ability, entrepreneurial acumen, and good reputation of their owners.
- Residents who have amassed lots of Linden™ dollars are matched with residents who want to buy Linden dollars at the LindeX™ exchange (our official Linden dollar exchange), or at other unaffiliated third-party exchanges.
- The Second Life real estate market provides opportunities for Residents to establish their own communities and business locations. See Land Pricing & Use Fees for details.