Linux Mint 6 RC1 Released
Clement Lefebvre announced a few hours ago, on the Linux Mint blog, the immediate availability of the first release candidate of Linux Mint 6 x64 Edition. This edition is based and the same is the case with the main edition of Linux Mint 6 (Felicia) , only that it is addressed to 64-bit users (Intel Core 2 Quad, Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon X2 64 and all the x86-64 compliant processors). However, there are a couple of differences: Java is using OpenJDK instead of the Sun version, and the OpenOffice.org-base package is absent. Testing for this first release candidate will last for two weeks, and users are urged to report bugs to the Linux Mint 6 x64 bug thread
Highlights of Linux Mint 6:
· mint4win allows you to install Linux Mint from the Microsoft Windows operating system;
· mintInstall 5 with a new offline interface, software versions information and support for multiple portals;
· mintUpdate 3 with a revamped GUI, proxy support, updates history;
· mintUpload 2 with support for FTP transfers;
· mintNanny, a useful parental control tool;
· Giver, a LAN (Local Area Network) transfer tool;
· Gufw, a Graphical User Interface (GUI) frontend for the ufw firewall;
· Flegita, a utility for scanners.
What are recommended system requirements? To install Linux Mint 6, you will need minimum 512 MB of RAM (however, the system will work very well with 256 MB of RAM after installation). Be aware that the installation may hang if you have less than 512 MB of RAM. As a solution, you can try to repeat the installation process several times. Also, you must have at least 3 or 4 GB of free hard drive space.
What is Linux Mint? Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up-to-date, 100% free and comfortable Linux desktop distribution based on the very popular Ubuntu operating system. It offers paid commercial support to companies and individuals. Also, free community support is available from the forums and the IRC channel.
Download Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 right now from Softpedia .
Download Linux Mint 6 x86 right now from Softpedia .
Go to our new site- shankee.com